- Always make your home look occupied. When away from your home, leave on a radio or television. Leave on different lights. Consider putting lights on timers and set for different times.
- Always lock the doors and windows of your home before leaving or going to bed.
- Add a home security system. Security systems have many options to choose from (i.e. entry, glass breakage, motion sensors, video monitoring).
- Get a dog. Dogs make noise! It doesn’t even have to be a big dog. Burglars do not like to create attention. Dogs create attention.
- Make sure valuables are not visible from the street.
- Always let neighbors and the Fort Mitchell Police Department know if you are heading out of town. The FMPD provide free house checks to residents.
- While out of town, stop all deliveries (i.e. newspapers, mail).
- If gone for an extended period of time, have someone take care of the outside of the house (i.e. lawn, bushes, flowers).
As a FREE service Fort Mitchell Police will check on your home while you are out of town. All you have to do is fill out a Vacation House Check Form.